National Occupation Code (NOC): 3143
Occupational therapists develop individual and group programs with people affected by illness, injury, developmental disorders, emotional or psychological problems and ageing to maintain, restore or increase their ability to care for themselves and to engage in work, school or leisure. They also develop and implement health promotion programs with individuals, community groups and employers. They are employed in health care facilities, in schools, and by private and social services agencies, or they may be self-employed.
Follow This Occupation
Job Duties for Occupational therapists
- Analyse clients' capabilities and expectations related to life activities through observation, interviews and formal assessments
- Develop intervention programs to address clients' needs related to self-care, work and leisure activities
- Maintain clients' records
- Establish personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Consult and advise on health promotion programs to prevent disabilities and to maximize independent function in all activities of life
- May supervise support personnel and students and provide training.
Occupational therapists may specialize in working with specific populations such as children or adults, or persons with distinct problems such as dementia, traumatic brain injury and chronic pain, or provide special interventions such as return-to-work programs.
Working Conditions for Occupational therapists
Work is performed in a variety of environments, such as hospitals, rehabilitation clinics, day programs, home-care programs, schools and industry. They also work in settings where clients live or work or in community settings.
Alternate Job Titles
- Case Manager Occupational Therapist
- Clinical Occupational Therapist
- Clinical Occupational Therapy Specialist
- Community Occupational Therapist
- Community Practice Occupational Therapist
- Home Care Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapist (OT)
- Occupational Therapist Vocational Evaluator
- Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation Consultant
- OT (occupational Therapist)
- Research And Development Occupational Therapist
- Research Occupational Therapist
- Vocational Evaluator Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- CERTIFIED OCCUP THERAPY ASSIST
- Rehabilitation Consultant