Maîtres d’hôtel and hosts/hostesses
National Occupation Code (NOC): 6511
Maîtres d'hôtel and hosts/hostesses greet patrons and escort them to tables, and supervise and co-ordinate the activities of food and beverage servers. They are employed in restaurants, hotel dining rooms, private clubs, cocktail lounges and similar establishments.
Follow This Occupation
Job Duties for Maîtres d’hôtel and hosts/hostesses
- Receive and record patrons' reservations and assign tables
- Greet patrons and escort them to tables or other seating areas
- Speak with patrons to ensure satisfaction with food and service, and attend to complaints
- Order dining room supplies and equipment
- Inspect dining and serving areas and equipment
- Supervise and co-ordinate activities of food and beverage servers and other serving staff
- Accept payment from patrons for food and beverages
- Maintain financial statements and records
- Prepare work schedules and payrolls
- Interview candidates for food and beverage server positions and train new employees
- May be responsible for marketing and advertising the dining establishment.
Working Conditions for Maîtres d’hôtel and hosts/hostesses
Work is performed indoors. During rush periods, work is fast-paced and comfortable footwear is usually necessary. Workers may also find themselves in situations involving disorderly customers or guests.
Alternate Job Titles
- Chief Host/hostess – Food Services
- Dining Room Host/hostess
- Maître D'
- Restaurant Host/hostess
- Special Event Maitre\'d
- Special Event Maitre'd
- Special Event Maitre D'
- Special Events Maitre'd
- Front Of House Staff
- Stacked Pancake - Now Hiring Steward